Thursday, September 1, 2011

1 YEAR ANNIVERSARY


Justin... words are not enough to express the gratitude for what you have given me. I mourn the loss of your life while embracing the rebirth of my own. Your family has been so good to me, and not a day goes by that I don't think of you. Thank you for being an organ donor. You have helped so many people and you have changed my life.

Pamela Vehar, Cam Vehar, Jake Cordova, Paul Vehar
08/27/2011 at Library Square, Salt Lake City, Utah


On August 27th, 2011 the downtown Salt Lake City Library unveiled a glass wall monument honoring organ donors, living and deceased who donated organs during the past year. More than 400 names were added, including Justin's. His mother Pamela and his father Paul invited me to join them for the unveiling, and I couldn't pass it up.

It was crowded. There was a mix of people, young and old standing in the southeast corner of the lawn. We heard people talk on a microphone about the experience of being an organ recipient, as well as people talk about the importance of organ donation. Someone pointed out a little girl, about 3 years old who had received a liver transplant. She wore a billowy dress and was playing near the water, a big warm smile on her face. She looked as happy and healthy as any other kid her age. She was loving the day.

Organ donation really is the coolest thing a person can do. It saves lives, it changes lives... And it is the very definition of unselfishness.

Because of organ donation, everything I ever knew about being alive changed last year on this day. My life has escalated into an upward whirlwind of adventure and possibilities. I embrace the change, I almost crave it. I find pleasure in just opening my eyes each morning. It's the little things, you know? Food tastes better, the sky always looks incredible, the wind seems to always feel refreshing against my face. It's great! I want to fully embrace my existence as a non-diabetic and rock the hell out of it in the best way I can. So that's exactly what I'm doing and it's a really good thing. I'm just happy to be here.

This has been the greatest 12 months of my life and it will only get better.

Thank you for sharing my journey. It has been fun writing this blog and sharing the experience. I have met a lot of great people and heard some incredible life-changing stories.


I love you guys!


In honor of Justin Patrick Vehar.
10/28/1988 - 8/31/2010






No comments:

Post a Comment