Friday, September 17, 2010


I am home.

Leaving the hospital was exciting! My white blood cell count wasn't where it needed to be, but it appeared to be slowly coming down so the docs made a decision to let me go early because I had no symptoms of infection and I wasn't really gaining anything by staying in the hospital.

The drive home was fantastic! Being outside in the warm cool breeze was stimulating beyond words. It was as though I were experiencing the world for the very first time.

Chris stopped at Target to snag a few things while I waited in the car. I can't drive a car or go to the store or any public enclosed space (like a movie theater) for a couple of months, but that's OK. Coming home was amazing. My dog, Moses, flipped out and I played with him for almost an hour.

I've been home for a couple of days now, and it's awesome! I've done a few things around the house that needed to be done, like changing some light bulbs, sorting through the newspapers Chris had saved for me, going through the mail, and more importantly, I cleaned out the section of our pantry where I stored all of my insulin pump supplies, all of my blood glucose test strips, and everything else related to diabetes. More than likely, I will give everything to my endocrinologist so she can distribute them to her patients. Why not? I won't be needing them anymore.

It feels incredible to not be diabetic. I really thought there would be a period of getting used to it, but it seemed to take right away. I don't think about insulin or carbs when I eat. I just eat. I'm still checking my blood sugar regularly, and I probably will for a few months, but it's just to make sure my pancreas is working.

Chris drove me to the hospital this morning so they could draw some blood. We have to do that 3 times a week for the first 2 weeks. Then twice a week for a couple more weeks, then once a week, then once a month, until eventually I will only go in 3 times a year. It's all to monitor how well the transplant is working and to adjust medication as needed.

Stephanie, my transplant coordinator, just called me with today's blood work results. My white blood cell count is still dropping. It's down to 11, which is nearly normal. So whatever infection I might have had is almost gone. ROCK N ROLL !!

I also have to attend clinic sessions at the hospital every week. Basically, Stephanie will talk with me about my numbers, meds, etc. and I'll see surgeons and doctors who are monitoring my process. I cannot do any exercise except for short walks until they tell me I can do more. They will also let me know when I can go back to work, which at this point might not be until the end of October. It's OK, I am resting and eating healthy, and enjoying my brand new life at home. Just gotta take it easy for awhile and ease back into a normal routine. Once it happens, I know it will be amazing.

This is all very cool. Very, very cool!


  1. I totally love how you are blogging so we can read Ive been pretty down today and it made me smile can I ask what is your creatin now? Can you eat anything you want now?

  2. forgot to ask Im at stage 3 ckd non-diabetic- but was just curious after transplant ive heard the anti rejection meds are brutal that they make you feel horrible? are there alot of side effects from them? can you ever have a beer or a glass of wine on anti rejection meds? I hope your new transplant lasts you 4-ever and so happy for you that its going good!! take care

  3. Hey Bettyboop76, thank you for your comments. Yes, I can eat anything I want now except for Grapefruit because it messes with my anti-rejection meds. My creatnin dropped pretty quickly from 14 to 1.05, and don't worry, you can still drink alcohol after a transplant, but of course they recommend using "moderation."

    The only side effects I've noticed from the pills are at night when I'm trying to sleep. My legs get really hot on the inside. If you touch them the feel normal, but inside they feel like they are on fire. I am told this will go away over time as they reduce the amount of steroids I am on.

    When they first told me about all the pills, I'll admit it was overwhelming. But actually taking them isn't so bad. It's easy and hardly noticeable.

    Some cool side effects from Prednizone are detailed rich dreams. Which is cool for me because I love to dream. But again, over time this will go away as they reduce the amount.

    For the first few months, you are on high doses of steroids and anti-rejection meds, but over time they reduce the amounts once there are no signs of rejection.

    It's major surgery, but completely and 100% worth it! =)

    Thank you for reading!