Friday, September 3, 2010

SUCCESSFULL K/P TRANSPLANT 2010

When I awoke on the morning after surgery, I could tell as soon as I opened my eyes that I was no longer diabetic. For one thing, the heaviness that normally surrounds my lower eyelids was gone. Also, in the past if you were to ask me how high or low my blood sugar was, I could think about it for a few seconds and tell you. That was also gone.

For the first time in my life, as soon as my eyelids were open, I felt immediately awake. Also, I felt like I had to pee, which means I had kidney function again. AMAZING!

My brother Rob was in the room, with Christiana, Erin and my mom, along with several nurses.

Rob: "Jake, you aren't diabetic!"

Jake: "Dude, I don't feel diabetic!"

It was cause for celebration.

There was a catheter coming from underneath my hospital gown. One of the nurses told me I had already drained 7 pints of fluid since the operation ended, which is quite amazing!

After 32 years of being diabetic, it is astonishing to feel it completely gone so quickly. I know I have a lot of work ahead of me to make a full recovery, but I am headed in the right direction. I've walked around the hospital floor a few times, I've sat up in a chair for several hours (I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but try doing it after a major surgery.) I've talked to friends and family members in person and over the phone, and I've received an unprecedented amount of love and well-wishes from friends all over the world on Facebook. I've even been told that I look much better than the doctors said I would. I'm not too puffy. I can't wait to take a shower, but overall I feel great!

Organ donation is such an amazing gift. Saying thank you is not enough and I don't know if I will ever find the right words to express my gratitude to the donor and his family, but I hope they know how much their actions have changed so many lives for the better. THANK YOU!

And thank you to everyone who has kept me in your thoughts. Your kindness and support is astounding. You guys rock the world!

2 comments:

  1. Jake, I am sooooo happy for you! I even cried I'm so happy and I don't cry damnit! Congrats my friend!!!!!!!
    Sincerely, Alicia Jensen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jake, I a so happy for you! Makes me realize how much I take for granted! Love ya~

    ReplyDelete