Saturday, September 11, 2010

New Organs

Hi from mthe hospital!
This morning as a woman drew my blood, the following conversation occurred:

Phlebotomist: "Are you diabetic?"

Jake: "Yes."

Phlebotomist: "Well, you'll be happy to know I ran 5 miles this June for Diabetes Awareness."

Jake: "Oh really? That's cool." (Short pause) "Wait a minute... I'm not diabetic. I'm in here because I had a kidney-pancreas transplant."

Phlebotomist: "Really? Because of the new pancreas?"

Jake: "Yeah. I'm going to have to get used to not saying I'm diabetic anymore. It's weird after 32 years of telling people I am."

Phlebotomist: "Well, congratulations! It sounds like you're just starting a new life."

Jake: "Thank you. I feel like I am."

It's true. During surgery, they removed my gall bladder and my appendix, so I lost two organs. Then they added a new kidney to the left side of my lower stomach area, and a new pancreas to the right side of my lower stomach. Technically, I have 3 kidneys and 2 pancreas now.

That's just how I roll.

And hey, they are letting me eat solid foods. WOOHOO!!

Let's see if they really let me go home today or if they make me stay here through Sunday...

1 comment:

  1. Now when people ask if you are a diabetic, you can say "Not anymore"! That is very awesome!!

    ReplyDelete