Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Standing on the Brink of Possibilities

"You look great!"

"All the color is back in your face!"

"Oh My God, you look like you did 10 years ago. I can't believe how good you look."

"If you didn't tell me you had surgery this month, I never would have guessed. You look fantastic!"

"I can't believe how slim you look..."

"Your face has color again, I can feel the energy radiating off of you. Man, it's good to see you again!"

"Wait... you mean you're HAVING surgery? WHAT?! You already HAD IT?!? WEEKS AGO?? Oh my God, I never would have guessed."

"You're not diabetic anymore? What do you mean? What did you do?"

"Oh no... you're going to be EVEN MORE ENERGETIC than before? Oh no... we're in trouble..."

"You look like a new person. I can't believe it."


These are some of the quotes I've heard over the past few days from various people. It's nice, but apparently I must have looked really pale and sick while I was on dialysis. Not anymore. I am awake, walking around, dancing, and enjoying the hell out of my new life. I still can't believe I am no longer diabetic. It's awesome. It's amazing! It really is the beginning of a better me.

And I don't have to go to dialysis anymore! So many good things have come from this transplant. I remember there was a couple of days in the hospital when I felt so horrible that I told myself I will NEVER go through this again. I don't care if my new organs only last 20 years, there is no way I am going through this pain and agony ever again in my life! I felt terrible, but you know what? It passed. The bad feelings went away very quickly and now I am standing on the brink of possibilities for the future.

Even though I had a momentary lapse of reason in the hospital, I know without a doubt that I would go through ANYTHING to not be diabetic because it is freakin' worth it! Yes, there are risks with major surgery, and yes I will be on pills for the rest of my life, but it's not insulin. I don't have to check my blood sugar anymore, I don't have to feel drained and tired from whacked out blood sugar levels, and I have 12 extra hours a week to do as I please. No more dialysis! No more weird work schedule. When I go back to my desk job, I will feel refreshed and alive. I will work a normal Monday through Friday schedule at a normal time.

I'm not 100% recovered yet, but I am getting a little bit closer to being there with each passing day. Today I drove to a few different stores, walked around them all, made a few minor purchases, cleaned my car windshield, drove home and washed out our outside trash can and recycle bin. I didn't feel weak or winded. I felt natural and relaxed. Tonight, I watched some TV with Chris, and this afternoon I played some video games.

Yesterday I went to a movie with my older half-brother, James. And tomorrow morning, I'm getting my stent removed. And hell yes I am even almost a little bit excited for that to happen!

:: High Five! ::

No comments:

Post a Comment